Thursday, October 30, 2008

yay phillies :)

soo in case you didnt already know, the phillies won the world series.. so it's been pretty exciting around here haha. you know, the screaming and beeping of horns outside from the moment they won until about 1:30 this morning. ohhh well..theres a parade for it tomorrow in center city and i'd really like to go. we'll see :)

I've been in the halloween spirit lately because it's definitely one of my favorite holidays. Besides Christmas..which I like the weeks before Christmas more than the actual day though. :) Anyway, so I made another recipe from Joy of Vegan Baking. This book has yet to let me down!


boo!



I used the Sugar Cookie recipe, and bought sprinkles and orange decorating icing from walmart in the party aisle, which suprisingly was vegan! :) basically just sugar...but hey who said sugar cookies were healthy? This made is a lot easier for me because lately my icing skills haven't been very good :(

Sugar Cookies (from Joy of Vegan Baking):
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated, nondairy butter, room temperature
3/4 cup graulated sugar
1 egg replacer (i used 1 T flax blended with 3 T water)
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a bowl, mix flour and baking powder and set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg replacer and vanilla and beat for another minute. Add the flour mix and beat until a smooth dough. Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour, until firm enough to roll. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove dough and on a lightly floured surface, roll out to a thickness of 1/4". Cut out the cookies with cookie eased bakinutters and put onto grg heet. Refrigerate for 10 minutes so cookies will keep their shape. Put into oven and bake 12-15 minutes until just browned on the edges. Decorate with frosting and sprinkles!! :)

I really liked the simplicity of this recipe, with the ingredients. In a lot of sugar cookie recipes I was looking up involved tofu or some random ingredient, which obviously is not necessary. These tasted just like the sugar cookies I had this past Christmas, non-vegan days. So I'm looking forward to making them for this upcoming holiday season!
Hope everyone has a great halloween! We're having a party tonight, and I'm being a greek goddess! I'm excited :)

13 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I am so excited they won! They've kinda been my team all these years, even though I don't still live in Philly... because ya can't root for the Texas Rangers! Plus, I was so excited when they *almost* won in '92 (stupid Mitch Williams!).

And yay for Halloween! I'm dressing up too. Can't let the kiddies have all the fun, can we?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Cutest cookies!!!! :0)

Sooo excited for Halloween - especially since it's both my brother's and sister-in-law's birthdays!!

Anonymous said...

I just got that cookbook from the library and I'm so excited to try it! I can't wait for halloween =)

Becka Robinson said...

Those look great! What did you use to make the icing?

Anonymous said...

the cookies are adorable! They look very , I mean very very, no wait I mean, very very very very very very tasty!!!!

tofufreak said...

such cute cookies!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

YAY for Halloween treats!! OMG they are SO cute! I love the round sprinkles!

miss v said...

i'll have to get that book. i'm trying to teach myself better baking... i'm more of a cooker than a baker (if that makes any sense).

waay cute.

Nicole said...

The cutest cookies ever!! :) Love the other sweets you have on your blog as well!

peony in a nutshell said...

the colour of the cookies is soo cool:p it defo catches the eyee

peony in a nutshell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becka Robinson said...

I miss your blog. Come back! :)

APLACEFORUS said...

I am making these today as a prerun for my holiday baking I cant wait to post about how they come out. I was a little confused about howmuch flaz and if it was flax meal or flax oil.. I used meal and it made my dough look a little freckled.. not that I mind. I cant wait to try these! Thanks for all the great tips.